June 1, 2011

New Nightstands

Furniture is expensive.

We bought our first dresser and matching headboard a few months ago. I do not prefer when all the pieces in the room match so I did not buy the nightstands from Pier One. I could not find anything I loved for less than $200 per nightstand and I was not excited about spending that much dinero. So, I decided to give Craigslist a try. I bought two solid wood nightstands that needed a little sprucing up for $150. Not exactly cheap but much more reasonable!

I’ve realized that I am not very good at taking “before” pictures. In fact, I am not very good at prep work either. I just want to dive into the project.

So here is the before picture… at this point I had already taken off the hardware and sanded them down lightly.

I decided it would be fun to add some color into the room and so I started painting them orange. WHAT?

Do worry, I stopped.

I didn’t even finish one side before I realized that I had made an error in judgment.

It was cute in my head, okay?

Time to reevaluate. I decided to do a buttery cream color and instead of traditional paint, I used spray-paint. This was a glorious decision. Several coats later (and a failed attempt at a stencil)…

Taa Daa! Now we have two lovely nightstands.

5 comments:

T said...

1. Cute nightstands! I like the hardware.
2. I love how you write like you talk and I can hear you saying all of this as I read.
3. There is some image that shows up behind your text, a box saying "This image or video has been moved or deleted". FYI. :)
4. So great to see you Tuesday!

Renee Westcott said...

Very cute. Have you completely given up on the stencil idea?

The Martin's said...

nice job! spray paint is easy huh! still no sprayer I guess :) I like the neutral color too. wasn't a fan of the orange even though I like orange and it could have been cute... maybe too cute (in a different shade). can't wait to see more!

The Long Family said...

Good job stephie...be on the lookout for a "package"arrive to you!

The Long Family said...

Good job stephie...be on the lookout for a "package"arrive to you!