September 7, 2009

A little something to say...

1. Obama Drama: if you haven't heard, Obama is speaking to the students of America on Tuesday. FYI-- he is not the first President to do this. Last I know, it was President George H Bush. This upcoming speech turned into all this drama from parents who were refusing to let their children hear the President's speech. To accommodate, the school districts said parents can send a letter of refusal with their child, then the school has to provide supervision for the students while the others watch the speech... yadda yadda yadda. Drama.

Honestly, I was annoyed that parents would not take this as an opportunity to discuss different viewpoints or allow their children to form their own opinions. I was especially annoyed with my students who said they were going to refuse to watch it with no good reason... other than that they don't like him. We had to tell our principle in advance that we were going to show it and do this and make sure we do that... So I decided that I am not going to show it. Well, the White House released the prepared speech. I just read it and loved it... ooo how scary, the President thinks everyone should try to overcome their circumstances and finish high school... oh no... don't tell my children THAT! We knew the speech was about education. What did they think the president was going to say? I can understand if it was a speech on the constitutionality of something, universal healthcare, or global warming, but "get an education"?!

I guess it would help to remind you that A) I teach 16 years olds, not 5 year olds and B) I am a quite conservatively thinking person who does not like the direction of the country--- so this not me being pro-Obama necessarily... rather pro-thinking for yourself, pro-respecting the President, pro-not being so difficult about everything.

you can read the speech here:

2. Random Thing To Share:
Maybe you've all seen them before... but I hadn't. It is a ball claw. They are only 10 dollars! I will need these in my future... my not so near future!

check them out here!

7 comments:

Renee Westcott said...

Last night's local news had a story similar to your blog...how the speech is encouraging to students and parents were a little overboard. It will be interesting to see how it goes. The ball claw is awesome. Getting one or three.

Lauren said...

1. Really, I am a far too lazy parent to spend time worring over the Obama drama... Em's school watched it... she didn't even mention it when she got home, guess it made a huge impression on her 7-year old self... besides, what do i have to worry about, her favorite sport is reading. :)

2. very cool. good decorating idea too for a boys room...

The Martin's said...

you should buy stock in the ball claw before I start buying them... Cole is way into balls.

The Long Family said...

you make me laugh - keep blogging - josh didn't even have to go to school the speech day - i wasn't even paying attention! like the ball claw - where did you see it?

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

my school district didn't show it at all...dumb...

The Martin's said...

just checking in as I do weekly to see if anything new is happening... you need to blog!

The Martin's said...

why did I even come to your blog today?