I was blessed to have the opportunity to meet Dad and Andrew in the hill country for the 2nd annual “guys’ golf weekend.” We met in Horseshoe Bay Friday night, played 36 holes of golf on Saturday, then 18 holes on Sunday. We literally spent our entire weekend doing two things: golfing and eating.
Our initial round was played on Saturday morning at the Apple Rock course. It was a pretty uneventful round on a tough course with Andrew carding a 75 as the low score.
The fireworks (at least for me) began as we teed off on the Slick Rock course later that afternoon. Encouraged by a slight correction to my grip and perfect bentgrass greens, I started the round Tiger-like with a par-birdie-eagle on the first three holes. I don’t really know how, but I hit driver in the fairway, 3-iron onto the green from 215 yards out, then sank a 25 footer for eagle (I think my second eagle in my life). I was shocked and didn’t even really know how to celebrate. I ended up playing the next 15 holes at four over par to finish with a personal-best score of 73.
The final round on Sunday at Slick Rock was a rough one for Dad and I (both shot in 80’s) but a stellar round for Andrew. He fired a 2-under par 70 and could have shot 65 if he would have putted better. But, the highlight of third round for me was watching dad react to a missed putt. He whacked his ball 40 feet airborne across the green, squarely hitting our golf cart. Haha. All in all, it was a refreshing weekend with the guys and I’m looking forward to next year’s gathering.

No comments:
Post a Comment