June 5, 2008

I teach high school. (Stephanie)

I tell people that I’m a “teacher” and no offense to all my elementary education teacher friends; I feel like I must clarify that I teach “high school”. I mean really it is a whole different world up there in secondary education.


I love teaching… usually.


I get to spend about five hours a day with 15/16 year olds. Usually about 28 of them at a time. Generally, it is insane. I like insane.


99% of the time they call me “hey miss”… sometimes I even forget my last name.


I teach them world history… they rarely find this interesting… when I strike a cord with them… I celebrate.


I found out that they really like learning about the French Revolution…. mostly because everyone was with out heads, yes, decapitated. Ask any one of them… they will tell you about the guillotine.


Sometimes they get really hyper. They can be annoying or they can be funny. I like it when they are funny.


Sometimes they try to teach me how to dance… they don’t know I already have mad dancing skills… I will continue to keep them in the dark about that.


The other day someone raised their hand to ask a question. This doesn’t happen often…in fact it is so rare that it is worth mentioning on here.


The last week of school I got a lot of this…

“Hey miss… are you going to miss me next year?(me: umm?)

"I can’t wait to come to your class to annoy you next year!”(me: oh yeah, I can’t wait either)

“Can I skip my class and sleep in your room?” (me:NO)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Gilberts! I didn't even know you had a blog! It's super cute! I saw your link on the Mosier's blog..and now I added you on ours. Now I can keep up with you crazy kids!
Larra

Renee Westcott said...

Yes...I can make comments now! Thanks for the glimpse inside the life of a high school teacher!
Nee and Liddy